Wednesday 21 November 2012

Ugly Duckling

Today I have one very wet foalio. I am daring myself every day to ignore the careful thoroughbred owner's inner voice that says 'rug them up to the eyeballs'.  I am assured by my native pony-owning friends and the vet that I don't want Titch to get too comfortably warm under a rug as he would stop using his food energy intake to keep himself warm, meaning he could get fat and that could be ruinous to the growth plates in his legs, potentially causing lameness in years to come.  Better to keep him slightly lean to try to even out his growth spurts. But the mother in me wants to wrap him up in a duffel coat!!

At nearly 5 months, his bottom is measuring 12.2hh and his whithers probably only 11.3hh!  He looks a bit wet and wonky at the moment.
Titch looking fat and fluffy before this wet weather

Bit bum high and wet!

Titch's fluff all wetted down - he looks slimmer now.

That fluff makes a useful thatch to keep the undercoat dry


No comments:

Post a Comment