Saturday 29 December 2012

Itchy Titchy.

Yuck, yuck, yuck!

I noticed that Titch was a bit scurfy soon after I bought him and assumed it was perhaps because he hadn't had the best nutrition and his skin was not so healthy.  Then recently I really started studying the scurf and found it all to be exactly the same size and attached to the hairs on his mane.

After a bit of internet research I have now convinced myself that the scurfiness and the fact that he is itching himself every few minutes can only mean he has ... lice. :(

I have liberally doused him in louse powder only to find it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.  What seems to come out tops is a product for cattle and sheep called Coopers spot on (for which you apparently need a holding/herd number) or Deosect or Ivermectin wormers.  Also suggested was lice shampoo and rather organically, Sulphur powder.  So until I can get hold of the vet I will try the sulphur powder as well as the louse powder.

I thought I was over all the creepy crawlies when the children started secondary school!

I will be consulting the vet as soon as they open on New Year's Eve. Great timing Titch the itch!

No comments:

Post a Comment