Wednesday 5 December 2012

Foal measurement at 6 months

We did it we did it! I loaded Titch in the trailer, shut all partitions and doors, and we went up the road and back.  He was whinnying a bit, but was fine when we got back home.

He has definitely decided I look like fun to play with when I am poo-picking.  I must stamp on this heavily as it is kind of funny now he's a foal but will be very un-funny when he is a strapping 3 year old.

Look away now if you are squeemish...

YAY! He finally has two nuts, so he could have his op, the simpler version rather than a full anaesthetic.  I will probably wait till either early spring before the flies get too bad so they do not bother the wound, or Autumn for the same reason, but saying that we are so wet here that I would have to chose a week or two when it was not at all warm for the flies to stay away.  I will wait to see what his behaviour is like as that may influence when I make 'that' decision.

This evening I spent some time sacking him out with a lightweight rug again in his stable, where he is confined and can get away but not get away entirely.  He had forgotten that he was totally ok with it last time.

6 month measurements

middle of knee to coronet band15 " = 15hh

point of elbow to ergot + point of elbow to floor = 55" =12h7" = 14.3hh

current height of whithers 124cm = approx 85% of his final height = 124/85 x 100=147.6cm= =14h2 1/2

current height of bum 130cm = so if that was 85% of his final height= 130/85 x 100= 152.9cm=15hh

So I think it is fair to assume he will average out to be 14.3hh

And if he could make it just one more inch, to 15 hh then I would be an extremely happy lady.   I always said of Spice that if only she was just one hand taller, ie 15hh, then I would be a very happy lady!! Just got a few years of watching and training before I can make sure of this with Titch!!

I have read in a few places that if colts are left a while before gelding they tend to fill out and be broader (the effect of testosterone I guess), but if they are gelded earlier they tend to grow taller and less broad.  So do I go for broad because it will give more surface area on which to put my long legs, or go for tall so that I am riding a 15hh-er rather than a 14.2hh -er?

The other day in the field he trusted me again to crouch near him as he lay on the ground.  I was bolder this time and gently encouraged his neck and head to lie down, so he was flat out in the winter sun, looking all fluffy and totally at ease with me touching him all over and standing up next to him, walking round him.  Lovely to have that trust.

Whilst cruising about on Youtube I found an inspiring video of a woman training a mule...to lunge in self-carriage and perform Passage.  For those of you interested, many horses never get to be taught this and for a stubborn old mule to do it has proved to me that with the right training any equine can have a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Nz702CvUM


No comments:

Post a Comment