Saturday 2 March 2013

Gelding a Foal and Locking Stifles

So, because Titch has been getting more and more nibbly and pushy (baby stallion behaviour) when I take him out for a walk, and because now is the right time of the year, and because he is never going to add anything wonderful to the equine gene pool, I had him gelded 10 days ago. The vet sedated him standing, twitched his nose and used local anaesthetic in 'the area' and it all went without a hitch.  He was done standing up, well, swaying! Titch was 8 1/2 months old, there are no flies to bother the wound site and he is fine.

Day 3 his sheath swelled up to about twice normal, but the vet was only concerned if his scrotum swelled and it hasn't.
10 days on from the op the site is still draining and the sheath is looking a bit enlarged, having gone down to normal size again.  I was warned to keep a close eye from day 10-14, but hopefully this is just a blip. To reduce the original swelling I cold hosed Titch's sheath and took him for a daily 10 minute walk, though I gather that twice a day is optimal.

The day before the op I noticed that one of Titch's back legs was stiff in its entire length and he struggled to get going walking. I recognised this as a locking stifle.  I have seen both back legs do this now, but the vet says they often grow out of this as they get bigger and become more muscled.  I do hope so.

About 2 weeks ago he was looking very nearly level front and back, but now he is majorly bum high again. He is looking a bit poor too if I'm honest, but the spring grass has just started coming through to put some roundness on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment